Great Britain Selection Trials 2017
The Great Britain Tag Rugby teams are set for an exciting year with the return of the British & Irish Cup against Ireland and the International Tri Series featuring Great Britain, Australia and Ireland.
Players can attend one or both trial dates. For each date we will provide a time a week before the trial so that we can get even numbers or particular types of players along to a particular session. Times are either 1pm or 4pm on 19/03 and 11am or 2pm on 26/03.
The categories are open mixed, open men's, open women's, mixed seniors (men 32+, women 29+), men's seniors (29+) and women's seniors (26+).
Whilst our squads will be focused on the games against Ireland and Australia, players and coaches will also be building towards the 2018 ITF World Cup.
Experienced players and Super League/A grade level players are especially encouraged to trial as are players who excel in the lower grades.
The Great Britain squads are serious teams and we are looking for the best and most committed players possible trialling.
To be eligible to play for Great Britain you need to meet the following criteria:
• Be British born and bred or have residency of three consecutive years or more in Great Britain
• OR hold a British passport
• Be a fully registered Try Tag Rugby player (or equivalent registered player with another ITF member such as the Irish Tag Rugby Association) who has participated in at least one full league season during 2017
• Not played for another full ITF member nation within the last three years (unless Great Britain is the most recent nation you've represented)
• Be available to travel to Ireland for both series (a limited number of exceptions for players who've got a commitment on one of the dates)
• Be available to commit to at least 75% (12 out of 16 dates) of training dates leading up to the series - a reasonable number of training sessions will be agreed for players travelling down from Yorkshire or further afield
• Great Britain representatives are ambassadors. Hence you must be an outstanding member of the Tag community who will uphold the ethos of Try Tag Rugby and represent Great Britain in a manner befitting the UK Tag community. Any player who has received a suspension from Try Tag Rugby for any on field or off field incident since the beginning of 2016 is not eligible to play for Great Britain.
• Pre-register online as detailed below
The age cut-off date is November 30th; hence for example if a player turns 26 after this date, they wouldn't be eligible to play in the women's seniors (26+).
TRAINING SESSIONS & EVENT SCHEDULE - (Sunday unless stated)
Training is scheduled to take place on the following dates:
April - 23rd, 28th
May - 7th, 13th (London Origin / GB fundraiser), 19th (Friday), 26th (Friday)
June - 11th, 18th, 25th
July - 9th, 16th
August - 13th, 20th, 25th (Friday)
September - 3rd, 10th
July - 22nd & 23rd Tri Nations Vs Australia / Ireland
September - 16th British and Irish Cup
All teams will train together so that the sessions can finish with practice matches, but coaches of the respective teams may choose to cancel a session due to advanced knowledge of player availability.
REGISTER FOR GREAT BRITAIN SELECTION
To be considered for Great Britain selection you must pre-register so that we can plan for anticipated numbers at the trials to provide sufficient pitches and referees, and evenly split the trialists across the two timeslots at each session. Registration is a two step process.
1. Register your interest on the Try Tag Rugby website, so that we can link your playing history with information collected in step two. Click here to register.
2. Fill out this quick form detailing further information regarding your playing position, trial availability and division of choice. Click here to fill out the form.
The deadline to register is strictly by 9am, Monday 13th March. Any applications received after the deadline will not be considered.
Note: If you can't make the trials you still need to complete both steps above to be eligible for selection. Players who can’t make the trials and don’t declare their unavailability whilst registering above will not be considered for selection, even if they’ve played for GB before.
There are sponsorship options available on the Great Britain kit. If you or your company are interested in sponsoring the Great Britain team/s, please email email@example.com.