Great Britain 2018 Tag World Cup Selection Trials
The Great Britain Tag Rugby teams are set for an exciting year with the 2018 Tag World Cup taking place in Coffs Harbour, Australia from the 1st to 4th of November.
Great Britain 2018 Tag World Cup open selections will take place on the following dates & venues:
Players can attend one or both trial dates. For each date we will provide a time a week before the trial so that we can get even numbers or particular types of players along to a particular session. Times are either 11am or 2pm on 04/03 or either 2pm or 4pm on 18/03.
During the trials the coaching staff and selection committee will be focusing on the following aspects in your game: Fitness, character, playing to structures, being a team player, tag positioning & commitment.
We will be sending four teams to the Tag World Cup with the categories to be determined after the trials. We will send our strongest teams depending on the quality of trialists.
We will be selecting 28 squad members per team with the final World Cup squads being named at the end of June. This will be 22 squad members per team, including two non-travelling shadow players.
NOTE: No players will be allowed to be brought into the squad outside of the 28 selected. If you don't attend one or both trials, you will NOT be eligible for selection (unless you have a minor injury where you are unable to play and you let us know prior. You are still required to attend however)!
The only exception is if you will be away due to existing travel or work commitments! If this is the case you MUST ensure you have notified us prior to the trials. If you fit into this category, please register and explain this in the notes section.
All four teams that will be competing at the Tag World Cup will be appointed with a Head Coach, Assistant Coach and Team Manager.
Experienced players and Super League/A grade level players are especially encouraged to trial as are players who excel in the lower grades.
The Great Britain squads are serious teams and we are looking for the best and most committed players possible trialling.
To be eligible to play for Great Britain you need to meet the following criteria:
• Be British born or have residency of three consecutive years or more in Great Britain
• OR hold a British passport
• Be a fully registered Try Tag Rugby player (or equivalent registered player with another ITF member such as the Irish Tag Rugby Association) who has participated in at least one full league season during 2018
• Not played for another full ITF member nation within the last three years
• Be available to travel to Australia for the 2018 Tag World Cup
• Be available to commit to at least 75% (Training every Sunday, starting 15th April except public holiday weekends & weekends that Try Tag Rugby events are on) of training dates leading up to the 2018 Tag World Cup - a reasonable number of training sessions will be agreed for players travelling from Manchester, Thames Valley or Yorkshire
• Great Britain representatives are ambassadors. Hence you must be an outstanding member of the Tag community who will uphold the ethos of Try Tag Rugby and represent Great Britain in a manner befitting to the UK Tag community. Any player who has received a suspension from Try Tag Rugby for any on field or off field incident since the beginning of 2017 is not eligible to play for Great Britain.
• Pre-register online as detailed below
The age cut-off date is November 30th; hence for example if a player turns 26 after this date, they wouldn't be eligible to play in the women's seniors (26+).
TRAINING SESSIONS & EVENT SCHEDULE
Training is scheduled to take place on the following dates:
April - 8th (Great Britain orientation), 15th, 22nd, 29th
May - 12th (London Origin/National Titles - All GB players expected to play), 20th
June - 10th, 17th, 24th,
NOTE: 29th - Great Britain 28-member squads reduced to 22
July - 29th
August - 5th, 12th
September - 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd, 30th
October - 7th, 14th, 21st, 28th (arrive into camp in Coffs Harbour)
TBC - Ireland may travel to London for the British & Irish Cup.
The coaching staff of the respective teams may choose to cancel a session due to advanced knowledge of player availability but will not be able to add additional sessions.
REGISTER FOR GREAT BRITAIN SELECTION
To be considered for Great Britain selection you must pre-register so that we can plan for anticipated numbers at the trials to provide sufficient pitches and referees, and evenly split the trialists across the two timeslots at each session.
To register your place at one or both trials please register via the below links:
Note: If you are injured and you can't play in the trials you still need to register and turn up. Please fill in the notes section that this is the case so you can still be considered for selection.
Please take into account that to play for Great Britain at the 2018 Tag World Cup, there is a significant amount of time and financial commitment that is required. There will be 20 team training sessions in which you will need a 75% attendance (exceptions for players based in Manchester, Thames Valley or Yorkshire) and financial commitments of approximately £1,500 to £2,000 to cover your flights, accommodation and spending money whilst abroad in Australia.
Try Tag Rugby will be trying to source sponsors and will be empowering the playing group to help with sponsorship and fundraising initiatives, however all players need to be aware of the significant time and financial commitment needed before committing to the trials.
There are sponsorship options available on the Great Britain kit. If you or your company are interested in sponsoring the Great Britain team/s, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.