Vacancy: Part Time League Organiser in West Yorkshire
Try Tag Rugby Yorkshire is looking to recruit a League Organiser based in West Yorkshire to work part time on a self-employed contract.
Reporting directly to a Try Tag Rugby Yorkshire Director, the position requires a self motivated, hardworking, reliable, highly organised person with a strong attention to detail and a love for Rugby (all codes). With the role of league organiser being a largely customer facing role, you will also need strong communication, customer service and conflict management skills. You will look after the management and operations of your leagues and administrative duties.
Which venues and the number of hours you will be required to work will be determined by demand and suitability. You should be available to work at least two, but ideally three weeknights, at any of the venues Monday to Thursday (18:00 – 22:00). In addition you will be expected to work at the Yorkshire Tag Championships on Saturday 4th August. You will be facilitating events at our leagues and social venues, with your secondary work being made up of administrative duties.
We are looking for the Part Time League Organiser to join the team from March 19th however we would also look for the successful candidates to be available for a number of training days prior to this. Provided performance is satisfactory, the role will continue through until approximately August 10th when the summer seasons come to a close. Depending on autumn playing numbers, there is a chance the position might be extended until mid November. If performance is exceptional, this role could lead to full time and potentially permanent employment. This role would suit a recent Sports Management or Business graduate with an interest in Rugby looking to build experience in the sports industry or a sports enthusiast looking for additional work. Current Tag Rugby players or referees looking to get more involved are strongly encouraged to apply.
Responsibilities of the League Organiser
Key responsibilities of this position include:
Venue League Management
- Oversee the onsite management of your venues
- Work with the Try Tag Rugby team to oversee the off site management, administration and operations of your venues
- Assist with competition administration including but not limited to fixtures, results and website updates
- Collect registration fees and sell Tag Rugby shorts at your venues
- Promotional work of your leagues
- Responsible for the roster of referees at your venues
- Responsible for training and development of referees at your venue
- Assist with team / player registration enquiries at your venues.
- Making the effort to know all your players on a personal level
- Taking ownership of your leagues by being responsible for growth between seasons, making sure existing teams continue playing and undertaking local promotions to help grow the league.
- Sell the benefit of weekend tournaments to existing players and teams
- Assist with the day to day running of Try Tag Rugby Yorkshire including but not limited to answering emails and phone calls, updating the website, petty cash management, washing equipment and more.
- It is essential you are a confident Tag Rugby referee (or willing to be trained up as one) as the League Organiser will often need to stand in for referees who are late, drop out at the last minute or get injured. You will be required to assist with refereeing at Try Tag Rugby weekend one day events.
- You will have a sound knowledge of Rugby (any code) as you will be required on occasions to confidently provide advice and give encouragement to new teams and players, so they will be able to pick up the rules and maximise their enjoyment of the sport. You may also be required to run free taster sessions for new players or teams.
Background, Skills & Experience
- The part time League Organiser position would ideally suit a recent Sports Management or Business graduate with an interest in Rugby who is looking to build experience in the Sports Industry or a sports enthusiast looking for additional work. Current Tag Rugby players or referees looking to get more involved are strongly encouraged to apply.
- The ideal candidate would have studied Sports Management or Business and have some understanding of the social sports sector. Whilst the position will initially be on a self-employment contract, Try Tag Rugby Yorkshire is ideally looking for someone interested in having a long term career with the company.
- No experience in similar roles is necessary and we welcome applicants looking for a switch of careers. Experience working with a sports organisation would be a plus.
- The ideal candidate must be extremely organised and have a strong ability to organise others. You should be hard working, reliable, highly organised, have great people and customer service skills and have strong attention to detail. You must have the ability to use your initiative and work autonomously. You will have confidence in managing referees, excellent oral and written communication skills, be able to learn new IT systems (such as our league management system), conflict management experience and the ability to resolve disputes plus a reasonable understanding of sports administration, such as being able to construct a draw.
- You must also be confident at sales, have a good sense of humour, be able to have fun on the job and be welcoming/approachable to new players joining our community. Strong administration skills are required with a minimum typing speed of 40 words per minute. A senior first aid certificate is essential (or the willingness to obtain one before starting the role). You will need to have an interest in Rugby (any code), good knowledge of the sport of Tag Rugby (or the desire to learn) and also need to be a capable Tag Rugby referee (or have the desire to be trained up to become a confident Tag Rugby referee).
- Try Tag Rugby Yorkshire will be running competitions at venues mainly in Leeds and its surrounding areas including Bradford and Wakefield. Which venues the successful candidate will be required to work at will be determined depending on demand and suitability. Try Tag Rugby Yorkshire does not yet have an office, therefore any work required away from the venues will need to be conducted at home.
- The number of hours you will be required to work will be determined by the number of teams that register at each venue. You should however be available to work at least two, but ideally three, weeknights on any of the days Monday to Thursday (availability required 18:00 – 22:00). If you are able to work three weeknights during the week then you would generally be looking at around 16 hours per week. In addition to the hours at the venue you will also need to have time to complete administrative duties for the league including amongst other things a venue report the following day.
In addition the successful candidates will be required to work on Saturday 4th August at the Yorkshire Tag Rugby Championships.
- Candidates will need to have their own car in order to be able to transport themselves and the required kit/equipment to run a league to and from the venue.
- You must provide evidence that you have legal working rights in the UK. People on working holiday visas are welcome to apply.
- Negotiable dependent on skills and experience. You will be on a weekly rate with bonuses in place if targets are met.
Applications close at the end of Tuesday 6th February 2018. Interviews may take place before the application closing date if potential suitable candidates have been identified beforehand.
Please forward a cover letter and CV to email@example.com ASAP.